What documents are necessary for the registration in the town hall?

Registration at your town hall   From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register.  
Officially all residents in Spain are required by law to register on the padrón, yet many still have not done so. All EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations.
Who should be registered?  
The “Padrón” is the way the Town Hall knows how many people live in their area without having to make any investigations as to a person’s official residence status or financial affairs. “Empadronarse” is the act of registering yourself on this list at your local Town Hall. The information provided at registration is confidential and protected by data protection laws and will not be provided to any other official or private entity. Registering on the padrón is a very easy process and an important one. Access to many state services, such as those for the elderly, require you to have been registered on the padrón for a significant period of time. So do not delay get yourself registered ASAP.
What are the benefits?  
Better public services
The central government allocates money to the different municipalities according to how many people are on the “Padrón”. Therefore, if you are not registered, your Town Hall is losing money for the provision of health centres, doctors, police officers, firefighters and schools.
Access to benefits and social care
You must be on the “Padrón” for a certain period of time to take advantage of some income-related benefits and other aspects of social care available through social services at your Town Hall. Those on the “Padrón” can enjoy discounted courses, leisure and cultural activities run by the Town Hall.
Voting rights
In order to register for local or European elections, you must first be registered on the “Padrón”, as this is where the Census Office in Malaga collects the data when preparing the electoral roll. When you register, you should also ask for the form to register for the vote in these elections.
Day-To-Day life
Because this document is your official proof of address, you will need your “Padrón” certificate to carry out almost any administrative task such as registering for healthcare, registering your car with Spanish number plates or any procedure carried out at the Traffic Headquarters, enrolling your children in Spanish schools, etc.
What documents are necessary for the registration in the town hall?   ·  Original passport and photocopy/NIE or Certificate of Registration with the National Police Foreign Office and photocopy. ·  Proof of ownership of property (either your title deeds or a rates receipt in your name and a photocopy). ·  If you do not own a property and are renting, your rental contract in Spanish and photocopy will be necessary. ·  If you do not own a property and you are not renting, you have to come with the owner of the dwelling in order for him to sign the registration form, authorising you to register at his property. ·  All family members over the age of 18, have to sign the registration form.  
This certificate is valid for three months but can be issued again upon request.
Does it need to be renewed?  
The Town Hall will send you a notification at the address on the “Padrón” if and when renewal becomes necessary.